In this conversation, Michael and Dr. Gorman discuss:
- Defining “Exegesis”
- Reading Scripture in context
- Communicating Scripture
- Asking good questions of the text
- Helpful structural tools we can recognize in scripture
- Analyzing the culture of Scripture
- Supplemental tools for careful Bible study
“Exegesis is simply the art and the science of reading the Scripture so carefully that we read out, rather than read in, the significance of the text.
That involves looking at the literary and historical contexts and details. We need to look at the forest and we need to look at the trees.“
About Dr. Michael Gorman
Michael J. Gorman (PhD, Princeton Theological Seminary) is the Raymond E. Brown Professor of Biblical Studies and Theology at St. Mary’s Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He is the author of numerous books, including Scripture and Its Interpretation and Participating in Christ.